Choosing a Provider
Mental Health 101
1 July 2020
Consider these factors when choosing among the various types of mental health providers:
- Your concern or condition.
- What should you look for in a mental health provider?
- Whether you need medications, counseling or both.
- Your health insurance coverage/cost
- When choosing a mental health provider, consider these issues:
- Education, training, licensing and years in practice
- Areas they specialize in and specific services they offer
- Treatment approaches and philosophy
- Which insurance providers they work with
- Office hours, fees and length of sessions
Don’t hesitate to ask lots of questions. Finding the right match is crucial to establishing a good relationship and getting the most out of your treatment.
Getting started with a mental health professional
Finding the right mental health professional and the right approach to therapy is as important as finding the right medical doctor. Whether you are planning to see a counsellor, a clinical psychologist or a psychiatrist, you can begin with a phone call to the professional and make enquiries about the following:
- You might describe your reason for wanting to make an appointment.
- Ask if he or she is experienced in dealing with such issues.
- Ask about the professional’s approach to dealing with mental health issues and how he or she generally works with clients.
- Ask about the consultation fees, whether or not he or she accepts insurance and how payments are handled.
- If you are comfortable talking with him or her, the next step is to make an appointment.